Chiropractic and Physical Therapy vs Surgery and Medication
A chiropractor and physical therapist Rockville MD residents trust have been adjusting spines and reducing pain for many years. Chiropractic treatment has shown to be effective against neck pain, back pain, seasonal allergies, headaches, migraines, and more. Lower back pain is considered one of the top contributors to disability in the United States. Surgery is a well-known treatment for many injuries, although, it is usually considered a last resort.
- Recovery. Spinal fusion is a common surgical procedure used to treat lower back pain. This surgery can require between three and 12 months of recovery time for patients to return to normal function. Patients who see a chiropractor, however, experience no recovery time. Pain relief may occur immediately following an adjustment. A chiropractor and physical therapist Rockville MD families rely on can also teach patients exercises and stretches to help strengthen muscles around the spine; a potential long-term solution to relieving the pain.
- Cost. Patients who saw a medical doctor report spending up to 40 percent more than those who visited a chiropractor.
- Invasiveness. Spinal fusion involves a surgeon performing an incision in the lower back and operating on the spine. Bone grafts, screws, and anesthesia are involved. Naturally, any disturbance with the spine does have associated risks, which many patients are uncomfortable with. Chiropractic treatment is inherently noninvasive and has proven to reduce pressure on the nerves in the spine.
Pharmaceuticals and medicine may provide additional convenience over other treatment options. However, there are potential downsides.
- Side effects. Many medications produce negative side effects. These side effects could include: sleeplessness, inhibited reflexes, and drowsiness. Fortunately, chiropractic care is rarely associated with negative side effects.
- Addiction. Certain pain medications are notoriously addictive. Often, their effectiveness decreases with use. So patients will have to up doses, increasing side effects and costs. Chiropractic care is a non-habit forming alternative to addictive painkillers.
- Pain masking. Common pain medications only mask the pain instead of confronting the source. This provides only temporary pain relief; whereas, a chiropractor and physical therapist Rockville MD locals call can identify the source of the pain and correct the issue – for a longer lasting solution.
Although there may be circumstances where medication and surgery are better options, it’s important to review safer methods before subjecting yourself to the dangers and inconveniences associated with surgery and painkillers. Rockville physical therapy and chiropractic treatments have proven to be safe and effective alternatives for many sufferers of back and neck pain.
If the back pain you experience is the result of a car accident, contact a lawyer who has experience in such cases. The lawyer may be able to negotiate a settlement or sue on your behalf; you may receive compensation to cover your chiropractic costs along with other damages incurred.
Contact a Chiropractor or Physical Therapist Rockville MD Patients Recommend
If you would like to meet with a chiropractor and physical therapist in Rockville, MD, we would be happy to discuss how we may be able to help with the pain issues you are having.
Call a (301) 710-9777 today at (301) 710-9777 to meet with a chiropractor and physical therapist Rockville MD provides.