More than 37 million Americans are affected by debilitating head pain. Many of these migraines and headaches are caused by hormonal changes, stress and TMJ, but what you may not know is migraines are also often triggered by certain foods. Here’s a list of 10 foods to avoid in order to minimize your migraines:
- Avocado – Although loaded with healthy fats, avocados contain tyramine, which has been linked to migraines.
- Citrus Fruits – Similar to bananas, citrus fruits include the same migraine-inducing duo compounds, tyramine and histamine.
- Processed Meats – Tyramine and the preservatives in processed meats are found to be followed by a migraine. Be especially cautious of bacon, hot dogs and sausage.
- Yeast Breads – Coumarin is a natural chemical in yeast which causes migraines.
- #Aged Cheeses – Manage your migraines by avoiding this tyramine-packed culprit.
- Whole Milk – Avoid the double whammy of choline and casein found in whole milk.
- Beans – From kidney beans to string beans, the tannins found in most beans are a headache…literally.
- Alcohol – The tyramine found in wine and spirits can induce head pain. Specifically, be extra cautious with red wine which contains both tyramine and sulfites.
- #9: Artificial sweeteners – The excitotoxins found in these sweeteners make neurons fire spasmodically and are therefore thought to be linked to migraines. It’s worth noting that some migraine sufferers are triggered by all sweeteners, while others are only affected by a select few.
- #10: Vinegar – Steer clear of red and balsamic vinegar and choose a white vinegar instead. The tyramines found only in red vinegars are linked with triggering migraines.
If chronic head pain makes it difficult to live comfortably, visit Headaches Go Away to learn about our revolutionary FDA-approved treatment for migraines and headaches.